Facility / Organization
We led the development, design, and implementation of a four year capacity-building program for Health PEI. This ambitious province-wide program included leadership training and consultation, as well as a training and mentorship program to create Yellow, Green, and Black Belt level personnel to manage quality improvement projects all over Prince Edward Island.
This large-scale, transformational project involved every area of the provincial healthcare system: public health, primary care, long term care, home care, and extended care. Our team worked with an approach based on the three pillars of Lean: leadership, capacity, and infrastructure; we helped to create all three areas for Health PEI, including a comprehensive support infrastructure for Lean projects.
In terms of infrastructure, and with our guidance, HPEI developed a system value stream mapping tool used to help identify metrics in each key sector, so senior leaders could then focus resources on those sectors and identify shifts in performance due to improvement initiatives.
We were involved in:
- Training the senior leadership group on how to lead a full organizational transformation
- Providing training and mentorship for different levels of leadership to improve business processes using specific tools and structures
- Designing an overall vision for transformational change
- Providing ongoing mentorship and guidance to leadership,
- Creating a complete online portal for document transfer, project archiving and tools management
- Completing in-depth statistical analysis on all data to identify most statistically appropriate area for improvements using Six Sigma tools
As part of a multi-year training and transformation project, we were able to support the achievement of many of Health PEI’s strategic objectives. Overall Average Length of Stay (OALoS) numbers have been running at a 50% reduction, the original target, and many physicians are at same day service now.